August 10, 2022
Elon Musk fights Twitter over potentially confidential information release

Elon Musk’s bid to reveal the contents of a counterclaim filed against Twitter last week was rejected on Wednesday by the judge overseeing the bombing case.

Delaware Court of Chancery Judge Kathleen McCormick ruled on Musk’s counterclaims, Twitter’s response to the lawsuit and affirmative defense will be made public by Friday afternoon, according to court filings.

The social media site had argued Wednesday’s release of the documents could expose “confidential” business information, the Post has learned, a decision that gave Twitter its first victory.

Musk sparked controversy last Friday over a 164-page countersuit against Twitter. The suit represents an escalation in the fight by Tesla’s CEO to abandon the $44 billion agreement to buy Twitter.

Companies are often allowed to modify content from legal documents that may reveal confidential information about their business – and Twitter argued that it needed more time to see “what information [Musk’s] To specify the filing, if any, as confidential.”

Musk’s legal team claimed that Twitter engaged in a stalling strategy to push the story to the press. He said in his countersuit on Wednesday that Twitter is expected to file its response to Musk’s lawsuit on Thursday — and that Twitter’s response to Musk’s countersuit could potentially be made available to the public before Musk’s countersuit, Giving the company a leg up in the wrong way. media coverage.

Twitter
Musk’s team said Twitter is engaged in a stalling strategy to advance the story to the press.
AFP via Getty Images

“Twitter should not be allowed to bury the side of the story that it does not wish to publicly disclose,” Musk’s attorney, Edward Micheletti, wrote in a letter to McCormick.

Micheletti said Twitter was trying to bend the court’s rules so that “their response to the defendants’ story could be communicated to the public before the defendants’ story could be told.”

Musk’s side believes that Twitter should not request any reductions in the countersuit because none of its content “meets the standard for ceiling”, the court said on Wednesday between the two sides. According to the email released as a demonstration.

Delaware Court of Chancery
The trial in the Delaware Court of Chancery is due to open on October 17.
Bloomberg via Getty Images

Under court rules, Musk’s countersuit and Twitter’s response must be available to the public by Friday at the latest — possibly in modified form.

Twitter shares closed up 0.1% at $41.00 on Wednesday.

The stock has risen nearly 26% in an effort to force Twitter to honor its agreement on Musk at $54.20 a share on July 12, indicating that investors over Twitter’s prospects in a legal battle. are growing rapidly.

Ahead of the trial, which is due to open on October 17, both Musk and Twitter are sending out summons in an effort to gather evidence to bolster their cases.

Musk has summoned Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan, two banks that advised Twitter on Musk’s takeover bid, Financial Times reported Wednesday.

Meanwhile, Twitter has summoned several members of Musk’s Silicon Valley social circle, including elite tech investors Marc Andreessen, Chamath Palihapitiya, David Sachs, Steve Jurvetson, Jason Calacanis, Keith Rabois and Joe Lonsdale. The Washington Post reported monday.

Lonsdale described the Twitter summons as a “huge disturbing fishing operation” in a tweet on Monday.

“I have nothing to do with it aside from some snarky comments, but got a ‘You’re ear be asked’ document notice,” Lonsdale said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.