August 9, 2022
Recent Match Report – Durham vs Surrey Group A 2022

Surrey 186 for 1 (Steel 68*, Patel 67*) defeated Durham 181 (Travaskis 55, Kimber 2-15) by nine wickets

Surrey came back from a loss in their opening match of the Royal London Cup to beat Durham by nine wickets in their Group A clash at the South Northumberland Cricket Club in Gosforth.

With Yousef Majid, Nick Kimber, Matt Dunn and Conor McCarre taking two wickets each, the visitors excelled with the ball to bowl Durham out for 181 in just 40.2 overs. Liam Travoccas topped with a career-best 55, but the home team was well leveled and it was a big challenge to defend their total.

Cameron Steele and Ryan Patel put on a smooth partnership of 132 runs for the second wicket. Steele led the way with his second List A half-century, easing the pain against his old club, who were the best on the field, missing several chances.

Surrey scored the winning runs with 21 overs to spare to make their mark in the competition.

After winning the toss, Surrey made the most of the new ball, cheaply dismissing Alex Lees and Scott Borthwick to make it to the Durham batting line-up. The 2021 Royal London Cup’s leading run scorer Graham Clarke looked comfortable in the opening overs, hitting four boundaries to build up his innings. However, playing on Dunn’s half-tracker, his knock ended in disappointing conditions, reducing the hosts to 51 for 3 at the end of the powerplay.

The visitors put themselves on top to get McCarker his maiden wicket by dismissing Kimber for 18, dismissing Nick Maddinson. After this, Majid troubled the hosts with his left-arm spin. Michael Jones got away with one edge between the wicketkeeper and slip, but his other ended in Patel’s fist.

In need of a partnership, Travaskis and Tom McIntosh worked solidly against the Surrey spinners to post 60 for the seventh wicket. Travaskis scored his first List A half-century, but both set batsmen were dismissed in quick succession as Kimber took two wickets to break the stand. Durham failed to bat to complement his full overs as Stanley McLindon was the last man to be dismissed for 13 after being bowled by Steele, leaving the visitors to chase down 182.

Durham needed early wickets to turn the pace of the game but put the visitors under pressure by turning down two chances to dismiss Ben Geddes. Lees and Luke Donnethy dismissed the Surrey captain for 8 and 20 off Chris Rushworth, before the veteran seamer eventually got his man to dismiss Geddes, as Maddison clung to point.

However, Patel and Steele laid the foundation for an impressive partnership for the second wicket and easily brought down the total.

Patel gave Doneti a chance, but he continued his day to forget the field with a simple catch off Borthwick, the Surrey opener then hitting a six off his next delivery. Steele continued the attack and took advantage of the ailing Durham attack to reach his fifty in 55 balls including seven fours.

Patel chased down his teammate to reach his half-century, ending the game with a big six from long-on and crossing the line with 21 overs to spare.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.