August 12, 2022
CWG 2022: India draw 4-4 against England in men’s hockey

India took advantage of three goals by hosts England to seal a 4-4 draw in their second Pool B match in men’s hockey at the Commonwealth Games here on Monday. The Indians got off to a good start and dominated the first two quarters to take a comfortable 3-0 lead at half-time. But the British worked hard to dodge the Indians in the last two quarters.

England were also helped twice by three cards to India’s Varun Kumar, one for five minutes in the first half and then for 10 minutes in the second half, apart from a 10-minute break for Gurjant Singh in the final quarter for a dangerous game. suspension.

The Indians scored from penalty corners from Lalit Upadhyay (3rd minute), Mandeep Singh (13th and 22nd) and Harmanpreet Singh (46th).

England put up a great fightback in the second half and scored through Liam Ansel (42nd), Nick Bandurk (47th, 53rd) and Phil Roper (53rd).

Both India and England have faced each other four times in Commonwealth Games history, winning two matches each. In their last meeting, England came out on top after winning the bronze medal match 2-1 at Gold Coast 2018.

Desperate to avenge that defeat, the Indians attacked and dominated England in all aspects of the game.

When India were on the offensive, England were content to defend deep.

It didn’t take long for India to take the lead when Lalit scored from a penalty corner to score a goal from a rebound off Harmanpreet Singh’s flick.

England soon won the penalty corner, but missed the opportunity.

Less than three minutes from the first quarter, India mounted a counter-attack and Neelkant Sharma placed it beautifully for Mandeep, who used his experience to hit a brilliant reverse to give India a 2-0 lead. With the ball molded into the house.

The Indians continued to dominate the proceedings in the second quarter and launched attack after attack on the English defence.

Mandeep extended India’s lead in the 22nd minute when he brilliantly shot towards goal, and the ball went inside after receiving a deflection from an English defender.

The Indians continued in a similar fashion into the opening round of the third quarter, but with the passage of time, England made their presence felt.

England had the better share of possession in the third quarter as India went on defensive mode.

England secured a penalty corner in the 42nd minute, but Amit Rohidas, who ran first with a fearless run to deny Sam Ward, came to India’s rescue.

A minute later, Liam Ansel scored from a field effort to narrow the margin.

Four minutes later, India secured a penalty corner and this time, Harmanpreet blasted the target with a fierce low flick in the bottom right corner of England’s goal.

But Varun’s suspension hit India hard as England made full use of the one-man advantage to put heavy pressure on the Indian defense and pulled another back in the 47th minute when Bandurak neatly passed skipper Jack Waller. defended from.

In the very next minute, England keeper Oliver Payne saved a fine goal line to deny Hardik Singh.

England kept their pressure and secured another penalty corner, but the Indian defended in numbers.

Roper danced down the left flank in the 50th minute to make it 4-3 with a brilliant field goal.

Nine minutes later, Gurjant earned a 10-minute suspension for a dangerous tackle that cost India as Bandurak deflected the pass from a counter-attack to level the score and stunned the Indians.

England kept up the pressure and secured another penalty corner in just two minutes from the final hooter, but India managed to settle for a draw.


India will next face Canada on Wednesday.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Topics mentioned in this article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.