August 13, 2022
Activision Blizzard Workers Call for CEO Bobby Kotick’s Departure, Stage Walkout


The head of Activision Blizzard defended his departure on Tuesday as a group of workers at the video game company deal with complaints of harassment.

A walkout came in the wake of the Wall Street Journal and a call for Activision CEO Bobby Kotick to leave the company report good That he has been embroiled in reports of abuse for years, including an allegation of rape, but did not share everything he knew with the board of directors.

According to a post shared on Twitter on an Activision Blizzard Workers’ Alliance account, some 150 workers took part in a walkout at the California company after colleagues stopped working remotely in solidarity.

“It’s time for Bobby (Kotik) to step down,” read a tweet from the @ABetterABK account.

The Activision Blizzard board voiced support for Kotick’s leadership in a message in response to recent stories in the media.

“The Board is confident that Bobby Kotick has appropriately addressed the workplace issues brought to his attention,” it said. in a post on the company’s website.

Responding to the AFP investigation, an Activision spokesperson said the Journal’s story presented a “misleading” view of the company and its chief executive.

“Instances of sexual misconduct that were brought to their attention were acted upon,” the spokesman told AFP.

“At the direction of Mr. Kotick, we have made significant improvements, including a zero-tolerance policy for inappropriate conduct.”

The California-based makers of Call of Duty have been affected by employee protests, departures, and a state lawsuit alleging it enables toxic workplace conditions and sexual harassment against women.

Kotick defended himself in a release, saying Tuesday’s article “gives a false image” of him.

“Anyone who doubts my belief in having the most welcoming, inclusive workplace doesn’t really appreciate how important this is to me,” Kotick said in the release.

Earlier this month Activision said it was delaying the eagerly-awaited sequel to its hit Diablo and Overwatch franchise as it deals with the turmoil caused by workplace conditions.

“In recent months, we have taken actions that have resulted in the loss of many people at the company,” Chief Operating Officer Daniel Alegre said on an earnings call.

“As we work with the new leadership at Blizzard, and within the franchise, particularly in some important creative roles, it has become clear that some of the Blizzard content planned for the year needs to reach its full potential. would benefit from more development time.”

The company recently announced measures aimed at strengthening anti-harassment protections.

Kotick has apologized and asked the board to reduce his salary to the California legal minimum of $62,500 (about Rs 46 million) until the panel “determines that we have achieved transformational gender-related goals.” have done it.”



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.