From time to time, we have readers emailing us why the Indian PlayStation Network (PSN) does not accept debit cards from banks like HDFC and SBI. While Sony is dragging its heels to ensure widespread support for cards issued from all Indian banks, there is still a way for you to get your digital purchases through with PSN-only games like Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. Or PS+ subscription.
Indian PSNs also don’t have prepaid cards for PS+ or store credit, but thankfully the US PSN does and is available through sites like Amazon.com and PlayAsia. Spend a few minutes in your browser and on your console, and as long as your card works online, you’ll have everything you need. There are two steps in this guide, first to create a US PSN account, and then to purchase game codes or US PSN store credits through Amazon.
Step 1: Create a US PSN Account
- On your PS3, PS4, or PS Vita, sign out of your existing account.
- Select Create User
- Make sure your region is set to United States, fill in the details if applicable.
- Next, you will be asked to enter the address. Select a state and input a ZIP code. From our own experience, we were able to sign up with a fictitious street name just fine.
- Next, you’ll be asked to enter your credit card details (which you should skip unless you have a US Bank credit card), choose your PSN ID, and opt-out of the marketing email.
- Verify your account by replying to the email sent to your address, and you now have a US PSN account.
(See also: Top 5 PSN Games You Should Be Playing Now,
Step 2: Buying PSN Codes on Amazon.com
- Log on to Amazon.com and create an account if you don’t have one.
- You must provide a US shipping address. Unlike PSN, you can’t part with an imaginary. You can provide a random address based on a US landmark, the information for which can be found with a search, or if you use a global shipping service such as Borderlinux or ShopAndship, you can enter that as a valid shipping address. You can use the US address provided to you.
- head for playstation section From Amazon’s digital games, choose the one you want. Indian credit and debit cards work fine for purchases as long as you have saved a US address. You should receive your codes almost immediately. These are just a string of numbers, so you don’t need to send them. Claim the code on your console via store section or on you browser,
Keep in mind that you cannot use the same email address as your Indian account. In addition, the DLC and Season Pass are region locked, meaning they will only work with games from the same region. This means that if you have a game disc purchased in India, the DLC you purchased for the game must also be from India, not through your US account. All other content (namely games) downloaded to your PS3 or PS4 will be playable by all accounts on it, and you do not need to use your US account to play, only to purchase games.
Did this method work for you in buying US digital PSN games? Let us know through comment.