Xiaomi has started rolling out the MIUI 8 Global Stable ROM to all eligible devices. Initially, the MIUI 8 Global Stable ROM over-the-air (OTA) update is limited to only a few devices, which means others will have to download and install the build manually if they want to use it right away.
Xiaomi Redmi 1S, Mi 2, Mi 2S, Mi 4i, Redmi Note 3G, and Redmi Note 4G will receive MIUI 8 via OTA update starting Tuesday, and they just need to wait patiently for a notification . Alternatively, they can also check in their updater app to see if the update has arrived.
As for the Redmi 2 and Redmi Note 2, Xiaomi says that some users will receive the update from Tuesday, but the rest will start receiving it from Thursday.
For the rest of the devices, Xiaomi has promised an update rollout sometime in the ‘near future’, which is very unclear. The devices with no immediate update are Redmi 2, Redmi 2 Prime, Redmi Note 3 Qualcomm, Redmi Note 3 Special Edition, Redmi Note Prime, Redmi 3, Redmi 3S, Redmi 3S Prime, Mi 2S, Mi 3, Mi 4 , Mi 5, Mi Note and Mi Max 32 GB. There is also no ROM download link available for these devices.
Those who have Redmi 1S, Mi 2, Mi 2S, Mi 4i, Redmi Note 3G, and Redmi Note 4G can download and install the respective ROMs from Xiaomi’s website. Follow the steps highlighted below on how to download and install MIUI 8 Global Stable ROM. However, make sure that you have backed up your files before proceeding.
1) The first step is to identify your smartphone and download the respective MIUI 8 build for your smartphone. For all smartphones that have bootloader locks, they need to be unlocked first. follow the steps Here, There are two ways to download manually – recovery method and fastbooting method. If fastbooting, you need to download Mi Flash Tool from here Here,
This list will be updated with new MIUI 8 Global Stable ROM links as Xiaomi makes them available.
Most of the users should download recovery rom for their smartphone. Flashing Recovery ROM will not erase your user data or files in internal storage and it is easy to use, so unless you are planning to start fresh, we suggest you follow this method. However, in both the cases, in case something goes wrong, it is always recommended to back up your data and files first, as we have mentioned earlier.
2) Once you have downloaded the MIUI 8 Recovery ROM, rename the downloaded ROM file to update it on the computer.
3) Connect your Xiaomi smartphone to your laptop via Micro-USB cable, and copy the downloaded ROM file to the root directory of your device’s internal storage (don’t put it in any other folder) .
4) Enter your device’s recovery mode. There are 2 ways to do this:
Method 1: Launch the Updater app on your device, click on the menu icon in the top-right corner and select reboot into recovery mode to enter.
Method 2: You can also turn off your device and then hold both Volume + button and Power button at the same time to enter Recovery Mode (once in Recovery Mode, you can use Volume +/- Use the can to up/down, and the power button to confirm).
5) After entering recovery mode, choose the language you want to use, select Install update.zip in System One And confirm, and then your device will start updating automatically. Wait for the update to complete, select Reboot to System One, and then your device should boot into MIUI 8 Global Stable ROM version.
6) Xiaomi phones with the new Mi Recovery interface, will see a new Select update packageoption in the Updater app. select it, go here download , select filesAnd select the copied recovery ROM zip file and tap Ok, It will then verify the package, reboot automatically, and flash MIUI 8 recovery rom accordingly.
Installing the Fastboot ROM is a bit more complicated. Mi Flash Tool and Fastboot MIUI 8. after download ROM for your respective device ROM HereFollow the steps given below:
1) Switch off your Xiaomi smartphone. To enter Fastboot Mode press Volume Up and Power button at the same time. Now connect your device to Windows PC or laptop via Micro-USB cable.
2) Double-click on the Fastboot ROM file that you downloaded on your PC to decompress it in step 2. Open the folder where this decompressed ROM is saved and copy the folder path.
3) Now decompress the flashing tool you downloaded in step 1. Then double-click to install it. then open MiFlash.exe And in its address bar, paste the folder path you copied in the previous step. click now refresh button and MiFlash will recognize your device.
4) You can select three options from below: clean all Will flash all files, and erase all user data and all files in internal storage. save user data The update will flash the files, but will not delete user data and files in the internal storage. clear all and lock Will erase all data, and lock the device again.
5) Make sure you have selected the Save user data option to keep your user data safe. Next, click on Flash button on the top right side to flash the ROM in your Xiaomi smartphone.
6) Wait for the progress bar to fill up. You will then see a message next to it that says: got flashed, Your device will reboot automatically and MIUI 8 will be installed.
How was your experience installing MIUI 8 Global Stable ROM on your smartphone? Let us know through comment. For more tutorials, visit our How To section.
Comment: Updated the post to include the correct ROM download link