A fire broke out at a Thai nightclub early Friday, killing at least 13 people and injuring 40, a rescue service official said.
An official at the Sawang Roznathammasthan Rescue Foundation told AFP on condition of anonymity that the mountain bee nightspot in the Sattahip district of Chonburi province, about 150 kilometers (90 miles) south of Bangkok, happened around 1:00 a.m. (1800 GMT Thursday). ) caught on fire. ,
Video footage posted by the rescue service shows desperate clerics screaming as they flee the club, their clothes burning, with a huge fire raging in the background.
The service said the fire was intensified by flammable acoustic foam on the club’s walls, and it took firefighters more than three hours to bring it under control.
The service said the dead – four women and nine men – were found mostly at the entrance and in the bathrooms overcrowded, their bodies with severe burns.
All the victims are said to be Thai.
“The death is not related to foreigners,” police lieutenant colonel Boonsong Yingyeong from the Flu Ta Luang police station told AFP over the phone.
There has long been concern about Thailand’s lax approach to health and safety regulations, especially in its countless bars and nightclubs.
In 2009 a massive fire broke out at a New Year’s Eve party at Bangkok’s swanky Sentica club, killing 67 people and injuring more than 200.
Santika’s owner was jailed for three years in connection with the fire, which began when a rock band called Burn was set on stage with fireworks.
More recently, in 2012, four people were killed in a fire caused by an electrical fault at a club on the holiday island of Phuket, a magnet for foreign tourists.
(Except for the title, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)