Doctors in Ireland recently removed more than 50 AA and AAA batteries from the abdomen and abdomen of a 66-year-old woman after she intentionally swallowed them in an apparent act of self-harm.
Quoting a report published in the Irish Medical Journal, huff post reported that the woman was treated at St Vincent’s University Hospital in Dublin after initially consuming an “unknown number” of cylindrical batteries. Her X-rays revealed foreign objects in her body, but doctors said thankfully none obstructed her gastrointestinal (GI) tract and none of the batteries showed signs of structural damage.
Initially, doctors waited for the battery to drain naturally from the woman’s body. Over a period of one week, the patient was also able to pass on five AA batteries. However, X-rays taken over the next three weeks showed that most were still trapped inside – and the woman began to have abdominal pain.
Read also | Pakistan Airlines blacklisted passengers creating ruckus in the air: Report
Doctors explained that due to the weight of the batteries, the distended abdomen hung over the pubic bone. The team then made a small hole in the abdomen and removed 46 batteries, including AA and AAA batteries, from the organ.
According to science alert, the remaining four batteries stuck in the colon were “milked” into his rectum and removed through the anus. This brought the total number of batteries consumed to 55. A final X-ray scan then confirmed that the woman’s GI tract was officially battery-free and had an “uneven recovery”.
“To the best of our knowledge, this case represents the highest number of batteries reported at a time,” the doctors said, according to the outlet.
Read also | China tests ‘flying’ cars that can reach 230 kmph
“The intentional ingestion of multiple large AA batteries in the form of intentional self-harm is an unusual presentation,” he said. The team also noted that the act could cause serious issues including “mucosal injury, perforation and blockage”. “The capacity of cylindrical batteries in acute surgical emergencies should not be underestimated,” the doctors said.